Wednesday, March 29, 2017

New Ancestry.com Beta Feature

I'm usually on Ancestry.com daily and I haven't really noticed much of a change since the introduction of the DNA Circles. So, I was pleasantly surprised when I notice a difference of in the Ancestry interface that I'm used to.


At the top of the site there's a very vibrant blue banner with a partial picture of the world map. Scrolling a little further down on the left side of the screen is a section listed "Genetic Communities". When I clicked on it this popped up:




I wasn't exactly sure what it meant, but was really amazed by the fact that I matched really high with "African Americans in Virginia & the Deep South". Now, the deep south part was really accurate, but the mention of Virgnia and North Carolina were a bit confusing as I've not traced any of my ancestors to these places yet.


Upon a little more digging I found another feature that told a story of how my ancestors may have possibly been connected to these regions of the US and how they arrived. The feature lists family members from my family tree who lived in those regions (deep south) as a part of the story to give a better feel of how the genetic communities are directly tied to my ancestry. It's also filled with very interesting facts about each era in those regions.


I can honestly say that this particular feature is proving to be much more useful than the DNA circles. I look forward to more. In the meantime this has given me even more to investigate and I'd hope would help to break down a few more brick walls.

No comments:

Post a Comment